This blog site focuses on cards and projects utilizing materials and tools from various scrapbooking and paper craft companies.
If you are interested in cards and projects made with rubber stamps from various companies, please check out my other blog site "Stampin' Inspirations".


Come and join the Christmas Group Site on Paper Craft Planet
Click on the banner below


Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Daily Special - Anything But Cards - Altered Square Tin

Good morning! To get out of my creative funk, I decided to create a post-it note holder using a square tin container. I bought a bulk of empty cigarette tin from Ebay to alter. The tins were very cheap and are great for altering. The tins are 3 1/2 x 3 1/4". I was going to bid on a bunch of empty Altoid tins but decided not to until I used the square tins. I bought these tins about 4 months ago and did not create any projects with them until now.

I was a little lazy so I just decided to just insert a square Post-it Note pad. My intention was to create an accordion card to insert into the tin but decided the Post-it Note pad was a great insert because it fit perfectly. You can find a lot of great deals on empty used tins on Ebay. Considering a brand new tin at scrapbook stores of this size can run up to $5.00 each which I find to be absolutely ridiculous.

Because the tin had writing on it, I painted the sides using acrylic paint to cover it up. I then covered the top with scrapbook paper and the edge of the cover with ribbon. I like how it turned out. It's motivated me to make a few more of them. Next time I'll create a small brag book and maybe an accordion card to insert in the tin.



I bought a few packages of rhinestones. . .very cheap ones with no sticky backs. You need to use clear glue to attach them to your card. Forget rhinestone brads. . .sheesh, a pack of 10 brads can run close to $4.00 which is just way too expensive for my taste. It's ridiculous when the rhinestone cost more than the rest of the materials needed to create the card. I found a few packs of rhinestones at Walmart and JoAnns that were on clearance and have been using them to embellish my flowers. It adds a bit of bling-bling to the flower. . .I love them! A pack of over 200 rhinestones run about $3.00 to $5.00. Now that's what I call a deal.



If I had any advise when it comes to rubber stamping and card making. . .don't get sucked in to the hype of specific brand name products. Many times people promote a product that they are associated with and in truth, you can find alternative products that are less costly and just as beautiful. I do buy certain brand name products when I know I can't find an alternative or of similar quality.
The stamp set used for the cards and the tin is by Autumn Leaves - "Word Flourishes" and "Doodle Bloom" which are sold at Target and Walmart. These stamp sets are beautiful. They're clear acrylic and a set run between $9.99 to $12.99.
The colors combo is Green Galore and Pixie Pink for the card and for the tin I used More Mustard and Pixie Pink. The scrapbook papers are by DCWV.




Until later. . .

1 comment:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

What amazing cards. I am a subscriber because I love your work. These cards make me think your style might be changing. These cards rock!! I'm on holidays in Mississippi visiting my sister, and will be looking at these cards in more detail upon my return home. Great work!